- retrieving items from the stacks for those with limited vision or limited mobility,
- wheelchair for use in the library (check at Circulation)
- making digital or paper copies of documents for those with visual impairments (in collaboration with the Disability Support Services Office). For assistance in copying library materials, ask at Circulation. For requesting interlibrary loan materials, please either note the accessibility issue on the ILIAD request form to clarify the preferred format, or contact Document Delivery (ILL) directly at 713-348-2284,
- proxy borrowing if making a trip to the library is challenging,
- extended loan periods for those with identified needs,
- reference assistance, individual instruction, or individual tours.
- Online Resources - http://libguides.rice.edu/accessibility
To access these services or for more information about any service, please contact Circulation (phone 713-348-4021; email@example.com
Fondren Library also has an Accessibility Committee. For additional concerns that do not require an immediate answer, contact Linda Spiro ( firstname.lastname@example.org), chair of the committee.
The committee also maintains an Accessibility Tips Research Guide.
Accessible features of Fondren Library (map)
- restrooms (basement, 1st, 2nd, & 6th floors)
- study areas
- stacks (basement and 1st floor with access for small wheel chairs on 2nd floor)
- computers and desks
- drinking fountains
- magnifying sheets at public service points (Reference Desk, Circulation Desk, Government Information Desk, DMC Information Desk, BIC Reference Desk)
- amplified public phone (control on receiver) on 1st floor next to Custodial Rm. 114 near elevator B)
- strobe/audible fire alarms