Welcome to Fondren!
Our collection includes books, e-books, audiobooks, leisure books, journals, CDs, DVDs, streaming audio and video, sheet music, maps, digital data, manuscripts, government publications and patents.
- The Fondren Library website has a single search box that searches our catalog, journals, databases, online articles, archives, digital scholarship, and our handy research guides. library.rice.edu
- The Rice University Digital Scholarship Archive contains online version of theses and dissertations, historical images, the student newspaper, manuscript collections, and rare and archival materials. scholarship.rice.edu
- Off-Campus access to all online library content is available to Rice NetID holders only through the Rice EZproxy service. library.rice.edu/offcampus
- The Rice Alumni Digital Library provides online access to a subset of the library’s online collections licensed for remote use by Rice alumni. alumni.rice.edu
- Library Research Guides - libguides.rice.edu
- Subject Specialists - library.rice.edu/librarians
- Need Help? - library.rice.edu/help
TEACHING AND LEARNING SUPPORT
- Course Reserves - library.rice.edu/course-reserves
- Short courses on research and technology are offered regularly throughout the year. Customized instruction is also available to faculty members upon request. library.rice.edu/events
- Library tours for high school students and community groups are available upon prior request library.rice.edu/tour-request
- The Center for Written Oral and Visual Communication, on the second-floor, offers appointments with peer consultants who provide feedback on papers, oral presentations, research posters, theses and dissertations. cwovc.rice.edu
- The Brown Fine Arts Library, on the third-floor, provides materials related to art, architecture, classical archeology, and music. library.rice.edu/brown-fine-arts-library
- The Gilbert and Ruth Whitaker Business Information Center (BIC) (McNair Hall 270) is primarily for the support of the Graduate School of Business and provides materials such as current business journals, books, directories and corporate annual reports. library.rice.edu/bic
- The Kelley Center for Government Information, Data and Geospatial Services, in Fondren’s basement, provides U.S. Government and Texas state documents patents and trademarks. library.rice.edu/gov
- The GIS/Data Center (GDC) (Fondren B40) provides training and access to geographic information systems software and geospatial data sets. library.rice.edu/gdc
- The Digital Media Commons (DMC) (Fondren B42) provides tools and training to support the creation and use of digital media, including audio, video, scanning and printing services. library.rice.edu/dmc
- The Woodson Research Center (Fondren 160) contains Rice University’s archives and rare book and manuscript collections library.rice.edu/woodson
- Most specialized study spaces and rooms are available only to Rice faculty, staff and students. library.rice.edu/maps
- Group study rooms can be reserved online by students for up to four hours per day. rooms.library.rice.edu
- Designated quiet spaces are available on the second, third and sixth floors. library.rice.edu/content/quiet-study-spaces
- Study carrels and lockers may be reserved by faculty and eligible graduate students on an annual basis.
- The student lounge on the fourth floor offers vending machines.
- The Kyle Morrow Room (Fondren 308) is an exhibit and event space. library.rice.edu/requests/kyle-morrow-room
- The music study practice room (Fondren 332) has an electronic keyboard for practicing sheet music.
- Public computers and printers (first floor near Reference Desk) require a visitor access code to initiate a user session, which is limited to two hours. Access codes can be requested upon Non-Rice visitor sign-in at the East Entrance.
- Rice Network computers and printers (first floor and second floor mezzanine) require a Rice NetID for access for students and staff.
- Public photocopiers (basement through fourth floors)
- Public scanning kiosks (first floor near Reference Desk, Woodson Research Center and Brown Fine Arts Library)
- Public stereos and video viewing stations (first floor)
- Headphones are available at the Circulation Desk for the public
- Audio visual and digital equipment is available for checkout by faculty, staff and students at the Digital Media Commons (B42)
- Wi-Fi is available to the public on the Rice Visitor network
- ATM (first floor near the East Entrance)
- Working with Rice’s Disability Support Services, Fondren Library provides accessible facilities, adaptive equipment and material retrieval assistance to those with access needs. library.rice.edu/accessibility
- Rice Students, Faculty and Staff privileges - library.rice.edu/borrow-request
- The Friends of Fondren Library organization supports the library by raising funds and sponsoring special programs. Membership provides circulation privileges. library.rice.edu/membership
- Fondren Library is open to anyone 18 year of age or older with a valid photo ID. Those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Visitors should check in at the East Entrance. library.rice.edu/visitors
PARKING AND TRANSPORTATION
- Visitor parking is available with different rates and proximity to Fondren Library. The closest parking lot is the Central Campus Garage. Free shuttle service is available from distant parking lots. park-trans.rice.edu
News & Features
New Rice Faculty Open Access Book Released with Library Support
A new book co-edited by Rice anthropology professor Cymene Howe has been published Open Access (OA) with support from Fondren Library.
Fondren Fellows Digital Humanities Showcase - February 27 at 3:30pm
Thursday, February 27, 2020 Kyle Morrow Room, Fondren Library 3:30-4:30