Ever wonder how to get more out of your PDF files? This short course will show how to optimize PDFs for both search engines and searchers, techniques for handling common problems when creating PDFs and methods for exporting content.
Digital Media Commons (DMC) Workshop
Do you have texts but need a table? Do you have raw data but need to organize it? This workshop will cover techniques to clean, append, parse and analyze your data using advanced excel features and formulas. Learn simple methods for converting and modifying textual data into a tabular format.
For more data workshops, please see http://researchdata.rice.edu/training/.
Introduction to using spreadsheets for beginners or a refresher for the sometime user. Covers basic features and options of Microsoft Excel, including how to organize and navigate tabular data, creating and using simple formulas, formatting worksheets and other helpful tips.
Tableau is a fast rising and award-winning data visualization tool in Business Intelligence (BI) and Analytics Platforms. It helps people see and understand data. In the presentation part of the workshop, we will introduce some basic BI terms, Tableau products, and some limitations of Tableau Public.
In the hands-on part of the workshop, using the DMC equipment circulation data as a sample data set, we will cover:
• how to connect to data
• how to create charts to visualize data in worksheets
Participants will get an overview of the Blender UI and then learn basic concepts of modeling, parenting and rigging in order to animate a mechanical device. The second half of the workshop will go over applying materials, adding lighting and render options and features. The topics covered are:
- grouping and parenting
- animating with keyframes
- applying materials and shader overview
- rendering options and features
- compositing and final video output
Participants will get a short introduction to Blender then create red and white blood cells to animate in a blood channel. The fundamentals from this workshop can be applied to making a variety of biological renderings. The features and topics to be covered are:
- Creating and applying Blender materials
- Using the subdivision modifier
- Using Particle systems
- positioning camera and lights
- basic modeling
This introductory workshop will cover Photoshop basics. Participants will be able to:
- Familiarize with the Photoshop interface
- Crop images with crop tool
- Resize images for web, video, and print
- Use clone stamp tool, sponge tool, and spot healing brush tool
- Use quick selection tool and magic wand tool to make selections
- Understand layers
- Save a transparent image
- Add text and change text color
To reach potential employers, collaborators, students and readers, academics need to establish and maintain a compelling web presence. This hands-on workshop will explore how to develop such a online profile, including:
creating a cohesive online presence
sketching out an academic website
This hands-on workshop will introduce participants to Adobe After Effects. Participants will learn how create a motion graphic video using animation, effects and transitions. Participants will incorporate the 12 basic principles of animation in their video.
- 12 basic principles of animation
- Precomposing compositions
- 2D and 3D transformations
- Using effects
- Using expressions to automate animations
This hands-on workshop will introduce participants to Adobe InDesign. Participants will learn to manage typography and graphics within InDesign. The topics to be covered are:
- Using tabs to control paragraphs
- Managing styles
- Linking content
- Clipping masks
- Creating unique shapes for text boxes