Graduate & Faculty Study Carrels
There are three types of carrels:
- Open carrel - features a locker, desk and shelf space for books
- Brown Fine Arts carrel - features a desk and shelf space for books
- Closed Carrel - features an enclosed office, locker, desk and shelf space for books (priority reserved for faculty and graduate dissertation work)
Advantages of a Carrel
- Library books and research materials will be checked out to the Carrel.
- Books checked out to your Carrel receive a loan period of one semester.
- Recalled Carrel books will be pulled from your Carrel by library staff.
- Having a personal study space in the library, a convenient location for heavy research.
- Carrels are reserved on a semester basis. Summers are considered their own semester.
- Carrels are assigned based on availability.
- Carrel keys/desk assignments may be picked up at the beginning of the semester at the Circulation Desk. Carrels/Desk Assignment keys are the responsibility of the User for the semester. Lost keys will be charged a $10 replacement fee to the User’s account.
- Carrel keys/desk assignments must be turned in at the end of the semester. If a key is not returned two weeks after the semester has ended, Users will be charged a $10 replacement key fee to their accounts. This fee is non-refundable.
- Books charged to your Carrel account may not leave Fondren Library.
- Items checked out to your personal account need to be secured within your Carrel locker.
- Please do not store food or drinks in your Carrel.
- Please do not leave electronics unattended in your Carrel.
- Fondren library is not responsible for lost or stolen belongings.