In this course, you will learn the basics of using continuous lights in the DMC's photo/video studio. Topics covered will include placement and direction of light, managing intensity of light, using gels and various attachments, shooting against white and black backdrops, and a handful of standard lighting schemes for different subjects.
Digital Media Commons (DMC) Workshop
Participants will learn how to use free and open source vector graphics editor "Inkscape". We will go over some basic techniques and concepts for creating simple illustrations useful for presentations and posters.
Topics to be covered:
- Creating curves (Bezier curves)
- Creating simple objects (Circles, stars, rectangles)
- Combining shapes (Boolean operations)
- Tracing raster images"
Participants will learn basic modeling operations and best practices to quickly make 3D models in SketchUp
This introductory workshop will cover Maya basics. Participants will be able to:
- Familiarize with the Maya interface
- Understand how Maya handles polygon modeling
- Introduction of how to apply a material and render in Arnold
This introductory workshop will cover both beginner and advanced Illustrator techniques. Participants will be able to:
- Understand how to use custom pattern brushes
- Create depth with gradient tool
- Draw biological forms using curves and pathfinder tool
- Understand grouping, isolation mode and useful shortcuts
Although the artwork is geared towards bioscience, participants of all disciplines are welcome to join!
This introductory workshop will cover advanced Photoshop techniques. Participants will be able to:
- Properly implement use of smart objects and smart filters
- Batch process multiple files at once
- Understand how to use layer comps
- Use basic features of 3D workspace
This hands-on workshop will cover the basics of using Adobe Lightroom to edit photos. The workshop will cover the following topics:
- Getting familiar with the interface
- Importing and organizing photos
- Color correction
- Tone correction
- Best practices for getting your photos web-ready
- Best practices for getting your photos print-ready
Want to have more practices with Tableau? Come to this project-based course, where you could sharpen your Tableau skills. You will use the provided data files to answer a few questions. Your solutions could be a single-page viz or a multi-page data story. You will need to use the skills taught in the previous Tableau workshops to complete the projects, with guidance and help from the instructor along the way.
This workshop will cover the following topics:
- Merge data from different data sheets/datasets
- Create parameters and calculated fields
- Understand differences between table calculation and regular calculation
- Use quick table calculations
- Create regular calculations on number, string, and date
- Add analytics objects such as reference line to the view