"Chroma key compositing, or chroma keying, is a special effects / post-production technique for compositing two images or video streams together based on color hues (chroma range). The technique has been used heavily in many fields to remove a background from the subject of a photo or video – particularly the newscasting, motion picture and videogame industries.
Digital Media Commons (DMC) Workshop
Please see http://researchdata.rice.edu/training/ for the latest update, 8/23/2017.
Drowning in data? Not sure how to organize and back it up? This hands-on, interactive workshop will share tips for effectively organizing, documenting and storing research data. Participants will walk away with ideas for completing a data inventory and data storage/ backup plan for their own data, as well as tips for writing data management plans (as required by many grant agencies).
Note: This short course is not offered this semester. If you are interested in taking it, email email@example.com.
By using text analysis tools, we can explore patterns and anomalies across thousands of texts--or in a single document. This hands-on workshop will provide a basic grounding in text analysis, focusing on:
This hands-on workshop will introduce participants to the latest version of Final Cut Pro X. The training will cover key concepts and functions of the Final Cut Pro X application. The topics to be covered are:
- Getting familiar with the workspace and the file management
- Importing footage, creating library, event, and project
- Adding footage to the timeline
- Using editing tools
- Using transitions, titles, still images and audio
- Sharing and exporting a finished project
Come to learn how to use iMovie to create professional-looking videos. iMovie is a mac based free video editing software that allows users to edit their own home movies with ease. The new update has added simplicity of the interface and improved file management.
This workshop will cover how to:
- import your footage
- manage your project
- edit the video clips
- adjust audio
- add titles and music
- record voice over narration
- create other cool effects such as texts, transitions, chroma keying, etc.
Have interest in learning data visualization? Come to this introductory workshop, which will cover the following topics:
- What is data visualization?
- Why do they work and what do we use data visualization for?
- Tools for creating data visualization.
- Design guidelines for data visualization.
- Hands-on work with Excel for using charts and pivot tables.
- Demonstration on how to chart data or map data with Tableau.
EndNote is a software tool for managing references, creating citations and bibliographies within documents. In this hands-on crash course, we will cover the basic functions in EndNote, showing how to import references from online databases and use them in a Word document with Cite While You Write.
An effective poster can get your main points across to as many people as possible. In this workshop, we will talk about the general guidelines on how to create an effective poster. In addition, there will be a hands-on practice on creating an academic poster in PowerPoint.