The WRC provides a photocopier and a flatbed scanner for public use.
Scanning and copying requests must be approved by WRC staff in order to protect fragile materials.
- The physical condition of the materials to be copied is of primary concern and photoduplication that might damage or alter the original in any way is not allowed.
- Original artworks, or tightly bound, fragile or oversize books cannot be copied on a copying machine. However, these materials can usually be photographed or captured on the department’s oversize scanner.
- Please specify the purpose [study, publication, or exhibition] for which the reproduction is intended.
- The WRC reserves the right to limit the size of photoduplication orders and to not duplicate an entire archives.
- The Copyright Law of the United States [Title 17, United States Code] governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. The WRC reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
See Lolly Gasaway's summary of "When Works Pass Into Public Domain".
The following prices specify whether they are for work by patrons or by staff. Any work done by Woodson staff also includes a $50 flat research fee which includes up to an hour's worth of time locating materials. Patrons needing to request more than an hour's research time require the use of a proxy researcher.
Black and white photocopies
- $ 0.15 per page when made by patron on-site
- $ 0.25 per page when made by Woodson staff
- Note: Photocopy orders of more than 25 pages per semester require the assistance of a proxy researcher.
PDFs created by WRC staff & made from photocopies (letter or legal size only)
- $1.00 per page (includes the necessary photocopy)
- Free - Patrons may use our reading room scanner at no charge pending staff review for fragility of materials. Materials up to 11x17 fit the scanner.
- Patrons needing special technical specs beyond what the free reading room scanner can provide may request scans to be made by WRC staff. Please complete the work request form and be aware of the following:
- Regular rate: $5.00
- Rice student rate: $2.00
- WRC provided Media: Regular rate: $1.00/ea. cd-rom or dvd
- WRC provided Media: Student rate: $0.50/ea. cd-rom or dvd
Oversize items larger than 11"x17" require a special order and can only be completed by Woodson staff.
- Projects must be approved by the Woodson staff.
- Regular rate for patrons outside the Rice community: $25.00 per scan
- Please specify: desired file format (.tiff, .jpg, or .gif); color vs. grayscale; image size, resolution (for ex.: 600 dpi high resolution, 300 medium resolution, 72 dpi low resolution).
- Ask staff for assistance at email@example.com or call 713-348-2586.
Payment by credit or debit card via Rice’s secure online system can be arranged by request.Checks and money orders should be made payable to Rice University.