Trademark Basics from the USPTO's Trademark Office
Wednesday, September 16th, 1:30pm-3:00pm
Craig Morris, Managing Attorney for Trademark Educational Outreach, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- how trademarks, copyrights, patents, domain names, and business name registrations all differ.
- why it is important for any new business to select a trademark that will be both federally registrable and legally protectable, highlighting factors critical when choosing a mark.
- the importance of doing a complete search and whether an attorney should be used.
- what may happen if another trademark owner believes it has stronger rights in a mark and issues a "cease-and-desist" letter.
- information on what the USPTO does in the federal registration process and how to avoid "scams" perpetrated by companies that request fees for services not required by the USPTO.