Patents & Trademarks
Craig Morris, Managing Attorney for Trademark Educational Outreach, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- how trademarks, copyrights, patents, domain names, and business name registrations all differ.
- why it is important for any new business to select a trademark that will be both federally registrable and legally protectable, highlighting factors critical when choosing a mark.
- the importance of doing a complete search and whether an attorney should be used.
- what may happen if another trademark owner believes it has stronger rights in a mark and issues a "cease-and-desist" letter.
- information on what the USPTO does in the federal registration process and how to avoid "scams" perpetrated by companies that request fees for services not required by the USPTO.
Course Materials & Resources
Dates for this Short Course
Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 1:30pm to 3:00pm
Kyle Morrow Room, Fondren Library 3rd Floor