Current Rice faculty, staff & students, retired staff, and faculty emeritus with active Rice NetIDs may borrow items owned by Fondren Library using their Rice ID or a government-issued photo ID and verification of identity at the circulation desk.
- If you became a Rice student in the middle of the academic year, please fill out the borrower application before checking out materials for the first time.
- For items we don’t own, you have access via Interlibrary Loan (ILL) or On-Site ILL for some Texas libraries. You may also suggest a purchase for our collection.
Fondren charges fines for study room keys, technology checked out from circulation such as chargers or headphones, and recalled items. You can review what fees you have, as well as any overdue items checked out to you, anytime by signing in to your library account on OneSearch.
As of Oct. 1, 2021, we will begin enforcing the no refunds policy for item bills that have been sent to the Cashier's office to be put on Rice user accounts.
- Users will receive three email notifications once an item becomes overdue -- ensure your email is up-to-date on your library account and in Esther.
How to Pay
- Pay fines by cash or check at the Fondren circulation desk any time we are open.
- After 4-6 weeks, all student charges are sent to the Cashier's Office and may be paid on Esther.
- Once the charges are sent to the Cashier's Office, please contact them with questions or concerns.
Guidelines and Information
- If your overdue items are within the 7-day grace period, you can still renew them online.
- Fines of $5.00 or more will prevent online renewals and self-checkouts.
- Students with unpaid fines that have been sent to the Cashier's Office will have a hold on their accounts.
- Staff with unpaid bills may have their balances deducted from their final paycheck.
- Faculty must clear their account and return all materials before leaving the university.
Lost Items and Replacement Fees
Overdue items will be billed as “Lost” after 90 days and three overdue email notifications have been emailed. Each bill includes a $40 processing fee, a replacement charge for the item, and any other applicable fines/overdue fees, such as fines for recalled materials.
- Overdue items are billed as “Lost” after three overdue email notifications have been emailed.
Replacement and Processing Fees
- Lost item replacement costs are determined by the call number and other factors, such as the number of components and availability.
- The replacement charge can only be refunded in the first 4-6 weeks after the bill is emailed to the account on file with Fondren and Rice. After that time period, the charge is transferred to the Cashier's Office and cannot be refunded by Fondren Library.
How to Pay
- Pay fines and fees by cash or check at the Fondren circulation desk any time we are open.
- After 4-6 weeks, all student charges are sent to the Cashier's Office and can be paid on Esther. Once the charges are sent to the Cashier's Office, please contact them with any questions or concerns.
Replacing a Lost or Damaged Item
- Users who want to supply a replacement copy of a lost or damaged item should contact circulation staff for guidance on providing an acceptable replacement copy
Did something unfortunate happen to Fondren Library materials checked out to you, such as water damage in a Houston rainstorm or theft from a vehicle? Please contact us as soon as possible by phone at (713) 348-4021, by email, or in person at the Circulation Desk.
Even if you're not affiliated with Rice University directly, you can still borrow items from Fondren Library. Visit our Community Borrowers page to see if you are eligible to borrow items through these local institutions.