The WRC provides a flatbed scanner for public use.
Scanning requests must be approved by WRC staff in order to protect fragile materials.
- The physical condition of the materials to be scanned is of primary concern and photoduplication that might damage or alter the original in any way is not allowed.
- Original artworks, or tightly bound, fragile or oversize books cannot be scanned in a self-scan kiosk. However, these materials can usually be photographed or captured on the department’s overhead or oversize scanner.
- Please specify the purpose [study, publication, or exhibition] for which the reproduction is intended.
- The WRC reserves the right to limit the size of photoduplication orders and to not duplicate an entire collection.
- The Copyright Law of the United States [Title 17, United States Code] governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. The WRC reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
The following prices specify whether they are for work by patrons or by staff. Any work done by Woodson staff also includes a $25 flat research fee which includes from 20 minutes up to an hour's worth of time. Patrons needing to request more than an hour's research time require the use of a proxy researcher.
Black and white scans
- no fee for using the self scan kiosk
- $ 0.25 per page when made by Woodson staff
PDFs created by WRC staff & made from scanner (letter or legal size only)
- Free - Patrons may use our reading room scanner at no charge pending staff review for fragility of materials. Materials up to 11x17 fit the scanner.
- Patrons needing special technical specs beyond what the free reading room scanner can provide may request scans to be made by WRC staff. Please complete the Duplication of Materials Form and be aware of the following:
Oversize items larger than 11"x17" require a special order and can only be completed by Woodson staff.
- Items must be part of the Woodson Research Center collections.
- Projects must be approved by the Woodson staff.
- Regular rate for patrons outside the Rice community: $10.00 per scan
- Please specify: desired file format (.tiff, .jpg, or .gif); color vs. grayscale; image size, resolution (for ex.: 600 dpi high resolution, 300 medium resolution, 72 dpi low resolution).
- Ask staff for assistance at email@example.com or call 713-348-2586.
Payment by credit or debit card via Rice’s secure online system can be arranged by request.Checks and money orders should be made payable to Rice University.