This short course focuses on introducing the American Community Survey (ACS) data by U.S. Census Bureau. The ACS data helps researchers, local officials, community leaders, and businesses understand the changes taking place in their communities. It is the premier source for detailed population and housing information about our nation.
The course consists of two parts:
- Part 1 will provide an introduction of the ACS.
- Part 2 will provide hands-on training on basic R functions in RStudio to access and import ACS datasets, analyze ACS data, and make simple visualizations for research. Students will learn how to select data from Census Bureau Data APIs using the tidy census package, return data frames that are ready to explore in tidyverse, and visualize data as customizable graphics using ggplot2.
- Fri, Oct 28 2022, 1:30 - 3pm
- Fri, Nov 11 2022, 1:30 - 3pm
- Thu, Nov 3 2022, 10:30am - 12pm
- Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:30am - 12pm