Update: June 23, 2020
Library Service Center (LSC) deliveries and scanning services are suspended for two weeks. Items with a location of "Library Service Center" in OneSearch are unavailable to users during this time.
We will release another LSC status update on Tuesday, July 7.
Update: May 18, 2020
New Interim Service – Request Items for Pick Up
Rice ID holders can request on-shelf and LSC materials for pick up at Fondren Library’s East Entrance starting today, May 18.
Effective Tuesday, June 23, LSC materials are unavailable for campus delivery. This service will resume no earlier than July 7, but updates will be posted here as available.
How to request:
- Sign in to OneSearch
- Search for an item as you normally would
- When viewing an individual item, you will see a new blue button to "Request Item" under the heading Get It (once you are signed in with your Rice NetID)
- Make sure the availability of the item shows as "Available" (Recalls are not allowed at this time)
- If you have any details about picking up your item, please add this information in the "Comments" area of the mini-form
- Rice Faculty, Staff and Students may request up to 10 items per day
How to pick up:
- Please bring a mask or face covering to wear during pickup and your Rice ID. Please bring your bags, totes, or backpack to carry the books.
- Users may temporarily park on the Inner Loop (placing flashers on)
- Users will come to the East Entrance (facing the quad), show their Rice ID and pick up their bagged material
- Users are responsible for rescheduling missed pick ups. Items not picked up within 10 days of request will return to the Stacks.
- Note the time table below for picking up items. You will receive an email when they are ready to pick up.
When to pick up:
OneSearch Item Request Timeframe
Available On or After (M,W,F 9am-noon only)
Wednesday 7am to Friday 7am ⇒
Friday 7am to Monday 7am ⇒
Monday 7am to Wednesday 7am ⇒
How to return items:
- Users may return items to the book drops located at both Fondren Library entrances.
- Items may also be mailed back to Fondren Library -- see Fondren Materials for more information.
- Note: After items are returned, they are quarantined for 72 hours. As a result, there might be a delay in library items being removed from your account or becoming available again. The day you return the books to us will be the adjusted return date on your account.
Updates: March-April 2020
May Graduates with Fondren loans:
Any graduate who has not contacted Circulation about outstanding account items will be billed for those items on August 1, 2020. If you are unable to come to campus please reach out to email@example.com. Please click the link to log into your library account.
Fondren materials have had their due dates changed to Tuesday, August 25, 2020 (the day after the beginning of the fall semester) for most users except for graduating students.
If you are a graduating student, your due date has been set to May 15; you may contact Fondren in order to clear your account prior to graduation.
If you left campus, had items checked out to you, and these items are still in your campus residence, you may return them when you return to campus.
If you left campus, had items checked out to you, and these items are with you, you also have the option to mail them to Fondren using Media Mail postage at the following address:
6100 Main Street
Houston, TX 77005
Interlibrary Loan Materials:
Currently, many of our library partners are either closed or limiting their lending/returning activities.
If you have ILL books or other materials in your possession, please check with the ILL team.
If you left campus and ILL materials are in your campus residence, please let us know.
Users who can opt for an ebook version (if available) should send requests via the Suggest a Purchase form and select Ebook in the Format Preference section.
Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) Materials and Services:
Currently, Kelley Center staff work from home M-F. Please email us with any government information or patent/trademark questions. You may also email us to request online research consultancy or instruction via Zoom.
Digital Media Commons - Zoom Workshops
The Digital Media Commons is now hosting its digital media short courses online, through Zoom. Check out the upcoming courses.