SciFinder is a database that is used for identifying chemical substances, their related chemical structures, chemical names, regulatory information, and properties, including CAS Registry Numbers®, reaction schemes, step-by-step experimental procedures, detailed conditions, and product yields.
To register for a SciFinder Scholar account:
- Read the terms and conditions carefully.
- Submit the registration form below.
- Once library staff have verified your information, we will email you instructions on how to complete your registration.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Terms and Conditions for a SciFinder Scholar Account
You certify to the following before you use SciFinder Scholar:
- I am a current faculty or administrative staff member, or officially registered student of Rice University;
- I will use SciFinder Scholar only for my own academic research done in the course of pursuing my degree, or in instructing my students, or, in the course of my own research funded by the government or a non-profit foundation and intended for publication in the publicly available literature;
- I will NOT use SciFinder Scholar for commercial research; for example, research that is done under a funding or consultant contract where the results are delivered to a for-profit organization, or for research that involves patentability searching. If I require SciFinder for commercial purposes, I will have the search done using a commercial account by contacting the librarian responsible for chemistry searches on campus, by contacting CAS and having them perform a search for me, or by acquiring and using the commercial SciFinder product;
- I will use my search results in the ordinary course of academic research and acknowledge that I may store search results in electronic form, provided that at any one time, I store no more than 5,000 records. I may share search results in a limited, reasonable way with other University students or faculty working on the same project, but I will not aggregate my electronic search results with those of anyone else. I will delete stored records when I no longer need them for the relevant research project, or after the completion of my degree program, whichever occurs first. If I need to use search results beyond what is described here, I will contact my University Key Contact to discuss and to obtain CAS permission. I acknowledge that I am not permitted to distribute any CAS or SciFinder Scholar data; outside the University or to third parties, for commercial gain or otherwise.
- I acknowledge that the University has entered into a license agreement with CAS to provide me with access to SciFinder Scholar, and that violation of the license by any user could result in a termination of the license for all users.
- I will contact the University's Key Contact with any questions related to the use of SciFinder Scholar.
I understand the Library reserves the right to take action against users who violate this agreement, including (but not limited to) the right to terminate their accounts on this system.
I understand that users of this account are subject to all terms of Rice Policy 832: Appropriate Use of Information Technology.