The GIS/Data Center offers individual assistance by appointment.
If our GDC Short Courses or self-directed training options do not meet your needs or if you require assistance applying GIS to a particular project, you are welcome to request a one-on-one appointment. All faculty, staff, and students at Rice, as well as visitors who are members of Friends of Fondren Library are eligible for individual assistance, though Rice affiliates will receive first priority for our staff's time.
Scheduling an Appointment
Walk-in patrons are always welcome in our center, but there is no guarantee that there will be somebody available to assist you. It is always best to schedule an appointment, especially if you are a first-time GIS user.
Use the Help Request Form to schedule an appointment if any of the following apply:
- You have never visited the GIS/Data Center before.
- You have never used ArcGIS software before.
- You have visited the GIS/Data Center and used ArcGIS, but are starting work on a new GIS project.
- You do not have a Google account.
Use our online Google Appointment Calendar to schedule an appointment if all of the following apply:
- You have visited the GIS/Data Center before.
- You are continuing work on a project that you have already received assistance with.
- You have a Google account.
If any of the following apply, you may receive walk-in assistance and do not need to schedule an appointment:
- You wish to complete self-directed training.
- You are generally comfortable using ArcGIS software and require minimal assistance, but may have a few questions.
GIS Support Specialist Calendar
At least one student assistant will always be available during our normal operating hours to answer questions and help get you started using GIS software and accessing data. For more advanced training or troubleshooting, it is best to make an appointment with our GIS Support Specialist, Ibrahim Gumel, using one of the two methods mentioned above. He is usually available during our operating hours, except for those hours marked as busy.
Please join the Friends of Fondren to access our services and short courses.