Want a book that's currently checked out? Did you receive an email that an item you have is recalled? Here's what to do:
Recalling Items Online:
- Any registered borrower can recall books charged to someone else and request books from the Library Service Center (LSC) from within the Fondren Library catalog. The current borrower must return the book 10 days after the recall has been placed.
- Any item checked out to another user or available from the Library Service Center will display a blue, "Request Item" button.
- Click "Request Item" and login with your Rice NetID to recall it if you have a Rice Faculty, Staff or Student ID.
- OR, if you are an Outside Borrower, enter your Library ID # AND your PIN #
- If you simply want the item after the current user returns it, come to the circulation desk to place a hold. The current user will not have to return the item early, but will not be able to renew it.
- When returned the item will be held for you for seven days. You will be notified by email when the item is available.
- All items are subject to recall.
- Recalled items will be due ten days from when the recall is placed.
Renewing Items Online:
- If you are Rice Faculty, Student or Staff, log in with your Rice NetID and Password. If you are an Outside Borrower, log in with your Library ID # on the front or back of your card. Enter the string of digits with no spaces. Then enter your PIN.
- Click on your name in the upper right corner (after logging in) and select "My Loans"
- Select items you want to renew or select all
- Click the "Renew Selected Items" at the bottom of the list.
- Verify items were renewed by reading the information that comes up on the screen.
- Please remember that an overdue book or fine on your account, a recall or hold on one of your books, or renewal limits can all prevent renewal of books or other materials.
Renewing Items In-house:
- You can also bring items to the Circulation Desk to renew.
- Overdue items can only be renewed in person at the Circulation Desk.
- Book drops are located outside both entrances of the Library.
- Borrowers should return CD's, DVDs, and fragile books, as well as oversized books, to staff at the Circulation desk. These items are susceptible to damage in the outside book drops. Borrowers are liable for any damage until items are checked in from their account