When an item you need is not owned by Fondren Library, or is unavailable, you may request to borrow the item from another library. You may request electronic copies, such as PDFs of academic articles, along with physical items such as books, recordings, or microfilm.
Current Rice faculty, staff & students, retired staff, and faculty emeritus with active Rice NetIDs are eligible for interlibrary loan services.
Visiting Scholars, Complimentary Staff, Friends of Fondren, Inter-Institutional Grad Students, and members of the general public are not eligible for interlibrary loan services.
- Due dates are set by the lending library
- Renewals are not allowed at this time
- ILL Items can not be placed in Course Reserves
- Copyright laws apply to all materials
- Your account will be blocked if you have any overdue ILL items
- If a lending library bills us for a book they consider lost, we will forward it to the user on the account
Items Unavailable for ILL
- Rare items (microforms or scans may be available)
- Books in poor condition (as decided by lending library)
- Reference materials (encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc.)
Dissertations & Theses
- Check Proquest first before making a request for dissertations or theses. Many are available online.